Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Monday, September 29, 2008

Roasted Garlic Bread

I decided to make a nice Italian meal for our Sunday dinner. I knew I had some local garlic and I was dying to try my hand at roasting garlic. (I must confess, my lasagna was no where near local, but it did taste good!)

Here's how I roasted my garlic. I found a small dish and then peeled off some of the outside of the garlic. I sliced off the tops and drizzled a bit of olive oil over the cloves. I covered the dish with aluminum foil and put it in the oven preheated to 375 degrees. Now here's where I have to tell you I have no clue how long I cooked it for! Between kids baths and bedtime, I lost track! But, most websites say about 30 minutes. I kept peeking at mine till I saw it turn a nice buttery brown.I then waited for the bulbs to cool enough for me to handle them and proceeded to squeeze out the garlic bits. Yum! You can eat the roasted garlic plain, add it to your spaghetti sauce or spread it on toast plain. I chose to make roasted garlic toast with mine. Another way to roast garlic is in the crock pot!

To make the garlic butter for the toast I took 1 stick of butter and mixed in the garlic, 1 T of parsley, a dash of salt, and a couple tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. I then spread it over the bread which I first sliced and toasted lightly in the toaster oven.

I put the slices under the broiler for about 5 minutes. They came out crispy brown and very tasty! I added them to our plates of lasagna (which should have had a salad too) and sat down to a nice Sunday dinner with Steve.
Roasted garlic is very tasty and you can find garlic at the farmer's markets this season. Pick some up and try your hand at roasting your own garlic. You won't be disappointed. It smells delicious!

2 comments:

Anonymous,  September 29, 2008 at 10:15 PM  

Oh my does that ever look delicious! I haven't made roasted garlic in forever; this reminds me all over again how great it is. It's going to be on the menu next week.

Take Care,

Trixie

Sara October 6, 2008 at 10:42 PM  

Garlic bread is one of my most favorite things! Thanks for taking part in WCC this month.

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP