Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Smart Plastic in the Kitchen

I've slowly been moving towards replacing alot of my kitchen's plastic containers (Tupperware, Rubbermaid, Glad etc) and replacing them with glass storage containers.

There is a big dark deep hole of information out there, both for using plastic and for not using plastic. I don't claim to be an expert or have a really strong opinion one way or the other. I am doing this mostly because plastics do leach chemicals when heated and glass doesn't. I'd prefer to use glass where there's no possibility of leaching.

A great article regarding plastics is here: Smart Plastics Guide. It's really informative and goes over the various types plastics and what's the more safer plastics. Here are some links to plastic company's websites regarding the safety of their plastics:

And to compound the confusion, did you know that canned goods leach BPA (from the plastic lined walls of the cans)? Check it out... Canned Goods and BPA

I want to purchase some vintage Pyrex, CorningWare, and Anchor Hocking/Fire King containers. So I guess it's more that I just don't want to take the time to decipher the recycling codes on the plastics and decide which are safe and which aren't. I picked up four CorningWare Grab-It bowls for $1 at a yard sale this week, in like new condition! Yard sales and thrift stores are great places to pick up non-plastic containers and for relatively cheap too.

I'm also eying a vintage Pyrex refrigerator set on E-bay. Isn't it pretty?

Here's a 10-piece set of modern Pyrex that is popular for those avoiding plastic containers. It's available on Amazon for $16.99.

So there's my blurb about plastics in the kitchen. I hope you learned something. I'm not too sure how informative this post was, but there are nice ways to avoid storing everything in plastic. Take care!

3 comments:

Anonymous,  September 3, 2008 at 12:25 PM  

Thanks for the great links. I just wanted to say that I had those 'modern' bowls with those lids and they never fit! It was so sad. So my opinion is, don't waste your money on those. I like the ones with glass lids better anyway. You just stick it on and you're done-instead of wrestling with the thing trying to make sure it's sealed!

Anonymous,  September 3, 2008 at 12:33 PM  

PS- I was very happy to see that no Glad products contain it.

MJ September 4, 2008 at 11:37 AM  

Thank you so much for this post! It's quite informative given the links, etc. You're right - it's a deep dark hole of info out there, and deciphering it (and the codes LOL) is a full-time-job! I think I started looking into it awhile back, got overwhelmed, and went back to my old ways! {shaking head,}
thanks again!

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP