Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Vintage Thingies Thursday: Donuts

Donuts or doughnuts, however you spell it, I bought this vintage donut cutter at a yard sale this week. I had in my head that I'd make this lovely spread of homemade donuts, take gorgeous pictures and post a wonderful recipe... Well, we're all human, right?

The recipe (or how I manipulated it) was a total flop! I was hoping to find a good baked donut recipe so I could avoid frying in oil. I came across what I thought was a simple and straight forward recipe, and while it was, the dough was way too sticky to manipulate and cut. It was a mess! (In this photo, it looks as if I'm playing with playdoh!)

Oh and the few lumps of stickiness that I was able to shove in the oven decided to burn on the bottom so I had to open my kitchen window to air out the poor place. Poor husband is going to come home to a stinky burnt smelling house! Time to break out the pumpkin spice candle. Do you think that will fool him?

A few recipes I'll try down the road

Alas, Friday is payday so I am hoping for a very nice vintage find this week! Come on vintage bargain! Well, head over to Confessions of an Apron Queen for some more Vintage Thingies Thursday posts guaranteed to be better than my post!

14 comments:

Diane October 15, 2008 at 11:38 PM  

Good try at non-fried donuts! Hope another recipe works well so you may enjoy the sugary fruits of your labor.

JEWELGIRL October 15, 2008 at 11:49 PM  

My folks used to make donuts from
this exact cutter. I've never tried
to make donuts yet, my folks made cooking look - way to easy. I hope
your next batch turns out better
and you can share your tricks with
us!

Coloradolady October 16, 2008 at 4:24 AM  

I wish I knew how to make donuts. I am afraid I would have the same luck as you.....great little kitchen gadget to have even if you never master the donuts. Love this post.

mub October 16, 2008 at 5:13 AM  

Oh bummer that your donuts didn't turn out this time! I hope you'll post about them when you do get them to work =)

The Apron Queen October 16, 2008 at 7:58 AM  

Darn. I hate it when a reccipe flops. Made spaetzle recently and the 1st batch was a disaster, but I got it on the 2nd try. :)

grace October 16, 2008 at 10:22 AM  

Sorry your donuts didn't work out, but I love the cutter--it's just like my mom's, and I think her's was handed down from her mom. Excellent find.

The Queen of Fifty Cents October 16, 2008 at 11:06 AM  

I am a fabulous baker but I absolutely CANNOT make donuts! But the best donut shop in the area is near my house, so no matter. Better to just admire your terrific cutter!

Unknown October 16, 2008 at 1:39 PM  

My dad tried one of these, but it never worked right. He was a cook in the Army and swears by making cruller-style donuts, just twisting the dough and throwing it in the fryer. They flip themselves over, too!

Kellie October 16, 2008 at 1:54 PM  

I'm sorry but I had to laugh at this. It is SO like something I would do...so so SO much like something I would do! It is a neat little tool, though. Better luck w/your next batch. :)

Miri October 16, 2008 at 3:32 PM  

I've been thinking about making donuts for a while but have no donut cutter-yours is great. Maybe there was something in the air-I tried a vintage cookie recipe yesterday for corn flake cookies that was a disaster.So glad you thought to take a picture :)

Virginia October 16, 2008 at 8:57 PM  

Haha thanks everyone for commenting and laughing along with me! I believe I'll be trying the apple donuts in the bread machine Friday morning. They sound yummy and I'm good friends with my bread machine, so here's hoping!

Geek+Nerd October 16, 2008 at 10:15 PM  

*laughs* Oh dear, it happens to the best of us! I love eating cider doughnuts this time of year, I haven't had a chance to find some yet! Good luck on the vintage hunting!

Scribbit October 17, 2008 at 12:37 PM  

Those donuts are tasty if you ever get around to trying them-

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP