Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

One Local Summer: Week 5

Can I slide week 5 One Local Summer meal in under the radar? And can I tell you the truth? I actually made this meal a few weeks ago, but I feel I owe you some sort of local recipe as recipes have been lacking around here! A quiche is a very versatile meal and you can utilize many local ingredients. Ok, so after admitting my failure at producing a local meal this week, I give you:

Asparagus Crustless Quiche

  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus extra for pie plate
  • 1 pound asparagus, tough ends snapped off and discarded, spears sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped (I used spring garlic)
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese (omit if going truly local)
  • 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs (homemade if you wish)
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Oil a 9-inch pie plate and reserve. In a heavy-bottomed skillet, heat olive oil and add asparagus, cooking around 4 minutes until bright green and crisp-tender. Remove from heat and reserve.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, garlic, cheese, and bread crumbs. Add salt, pepper, and fresh parsley, whisking again to combine.

3. Add asparagus and stir to combine. Pour mixture into the prepared pie plate and bake in preheated oven 30 to 35 minutes or until firm.

3 comments:

Michelle July 8, 2009 at 12:18 PM  

Hi Virginia,
I remember the days at home with three boys under five. We had great fun hunting morel mushrooms and fiddleheads (which were in actuality just unfurled tops of ferns we-stealthily- snagged from neighbors yards--we ate them and no one died so I guess they're edible).
You should try FRESH LOCAL BAYSIDE if you're into eating local (DELICIOUS) food. We use our own or other Newington eggs, local honey in the homemade granola and whatever local produce available. We're also adding as much local fish and lobster as possible. www.freshlocalnh.com. Thanks for your blog--Michelle

Holly July 8, 2009 at 2:25 PM  

I'm going to make this for dinner tonight with zucchini since I don't have asparagus. It looks so yummy!

Anonymous,  July 9, 2009 at 5:34 PM  

Definitely looks like a tasty local meal!
PS We went to Fresh Local Bayside for lunch today while we were in Newington anyway running some errands - seriously awesome food!!

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP