Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

One Local Summer: Week 9

I have been doing terrible posting my OLS meals! I still owe you my week 8 meal which was a butterflied whole chicken BBQ'ed under bricks. It was so tasty, I promise I'll share it with you this week!

And since I'm also late posting this weeks meal, I'll get right to it. This recipe comes from the book 365 Ways to Cook Hamburger and Other Ground Meats by Rick Rodgers (1992) and is a microwave version of food writer Irene Rothschild's recipe. I snagged this book off PaperBackSwap.com. (picture to come)

Microwave Zucchini-Beef Bake

2 T olive oil
3 medium zucchini, slice 1/2 inch thick
1 pound ground sirloin (I used local ground moose)
1 small onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup tomato sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

(I realize this isn't entirely local (cottage cheese), but I did the best I could do! Maybe you could sprinkle Cabot cheese on top instead?)

1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add zucchini slices and cook, turning often, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer zucchini slices to paper towels to drain briefly. Arrange overlapping slices in a microwave-safe-9-inch square baking dish.

2. In a 2-quart microwave-safe bowl, place ground sirloin, onion, and garlic. Cover tightly with microwave-safe plastic wrap. Microwave on High, stirring once to break up lumps of meat, until beef loses its pink color, about 6 minutes. Drain off excess fat. Stir in tomato sauce, salt, cinnamon, and pepper. Pour meat filling over zucchini.

3. In a small bowl, combine cottage cheese and egg. Spread mixture over meat filling and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover with wax paper. Cook on Medium-High until cheese topping is set, about 8 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes to complete cooking.

1 comments:

Anonymous,  August 5, 2009 at 5:59 AM  

Life can certainly get the better of us and leave things a bit frazzled - it happens to us all :-)

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP