Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Crustless Swiss Chard Quiche

photo courtesy of LollyKnit

I don't have a picture for this, but it's my most favorite recipe for utilizing Swiss chard. It comes from the Columbus Foodie blog. I can't tell you how many times I've made this! It makes a great breakfast too.

Swiss chard can also be used in place of spinach in most recipes too since their flavors are similar. I'm thinking of making a crustless spinach, onion, feta quiche with the local feta I picked up last week. Well, anyway, here's the crustless Swiss chard quiche recipe I've promised for awhile:

Crustless Swiss Chard Quiche

1 teaspoon olive oil
Small onion (sweet or otherwise)
Small bunch Swiss chard
2 1/2 cups shredded cheese (whatever you prefer)
4 eggs
1 cup skim milk
salt
pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Wash and dry Swiss chard. Cut off the very ends of the stems. Roughly chop (leaving stems intact) the chard. Add onion and Chard to the oil and saute until stems are tender (do not overcook). Add salt & pepper to taste.

Meanwhile, grate 2.5 cups of cheese. Whisk eggs. Add milk and cheese. Fold in the onion/chard mixture. Add salt & pepper to taste, if necessary.

Pour into a pie dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until golden brown and no liquid seeps when you poke it with a knife. Serves 8.

11 comments:

Local Food Rocks October 14, 2009 at 11:08 AM  

Can't wait to try your recipe. Sounds delicious.

betty-NZ October 17, 2009 at 7:04 PM  

Wow! I wonder what they call 'chard' here?!...

Virginia October 17, 2009 at 7:14 PM  

I found this for you bettyl:

Chard is known by a number of different names in including Swiss Chard, Spinach Beet,and Leaf beet.

Also, spinach and chard are very similar, so you can substitute spinach.

Hope that helps!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) October 18, 2009 at 1:24 AM  

Well honestly I thought for a minute that I posted this post. Swiss Chard pie as we call it, is one of our favorites. We don't have a garden any more but I picked from my daughter's garden (and make an extra pie for them). I've had the recipe forever and have no idea where I got it. I use a smoky flavored cheese, which really adds something to it. And we too love it for breakfast.
Fun -- thanks for sharing. (here from BPOTW)

Linda November 16, 2009 at 4:15 PM  

I've just discovered Swiss chard and I'm growing some in the garden. I'd like to try this recipe, but I'm not sure how much chard to use ... could you give me an idea of how many cups would equal a "bunch" of chard?

Virginia November 24, 2009 at 11:44 PM  

Sorry I haven't answered you sooner Linda! I don't have an exact figure, but think about a handful of chard stems and leaves, like you're holding a bouquet of flowers. Remember, it will wilt down, so there's no wrong amount! I hate to guess as I'm probably wrong, but probably around 1 cup (maybe more) of wilted chard. Good luck, it'll turn out fine!

Linda November 25, 2009 at 4:48 PM  

Thanks, Virginia. This gives me an idea of how much to use -- I'll just pick a nice bouquet of chard.

Wish you could see my Bright Lights Swiss Chard -- it looks so healthy & colorful, and to think it took me so long to discover it! I love using it in green smoothies. Hope you have a nice Thanksgiving!

Virginia November 25, 2009 at 9:04 PM  

Isn't Bright Lights Chard gorgeous?!

Chard can be used in any spinach recipes, it's so versatile. It's great sauteed and mixed with scrambled eggs!

Yum! Happy Thanksgiving to you as well. :)

debbie T April 26, 2010 at 11:33 PM  

That does sound good! I will have to try it, after I find some chard at whole foods. It looks very simple too. I don't like all that butter and flour in crust, so this will make it much healthier!

I found your link on twitter!

Virginia April 26, 2010 at 11:36 PM  

Thanks for stopping by! Quiche is very versatile. Tonight I used whole raw milk, cheddar cheese and butter.

You could substitute other greens as well, such as spinach!

Hope you enjoy!

Sciatic Nerve Pain December 27, 2011 at 1:31 PM  

I tried this crustless swiss chard quinche at home. Everyone liked it a lot.

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP