Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Super Size Me, Not!

Alright, so I'm quickly approaching my LNA midterm and I'm doing well in the class!

Today we watched Super Size Me to go along with our nutrition lecture. And while I knew most of the information shared, it did infuriate me all over again and re-lit my desire to reign in my family's nutrition.

I wish we could have watched Super Size Me coupled with Food, Inc. because it's more than just the fast food industry's fault. We've take food so far away from the land, grandma wouldn't even recognize what we eat as food (come on now, twinkies, uncrustables, pizza bagels etc...)

The fast food industry is the blatant culprit of unhealthy food, but so many other foods in the supermarket are terrible for you as well. I mean, so much of the grocery store is corn when it's all said and done.

We really need to get back to the land and to eating locally produced products. Now, I'm preaching to the choir here, I've been really lame about eating locally lately. I believe The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals needs to be a reading priority on everyone's reading list. Read that book and then make your decisions about vegetarianism, local vs. sourced, grass-fed vs corn-fed, organic vs. non-organic, and raw vs. pasteurized and homogenized. It was the first book I read over a year ago and has led me on this journey of over a year now. It opened my eyes.

I have two kids, one with speech delays and one with possible autism/ADD/ADHD. I really was convicted today to get back to their needs and really get to the root of what's making them sick. While pursuing a nursing career is a noble goal, I have sick kids at home that need their momma to be their advocate for healthy, nutritious food that won't make them sick. I will also share some great books that have helped me learn about my kids and what might be going wrong (now to find a Dr. in the area who can back me up and get my kids on the healing path!):

So sorry for the blabbering post, there's just so much on mind as to where I want to go career-wise and the needs of my family in this moment in time. It hurts me to see my kids struggling and I only wish I could take it all away from them, I wish I had the answers. I have to step up and be an advocate for my kids, I will not let them be the canary in the coal mine for future generations.

Oh yeah, it's also the October 2009 Eat Local Challenge. I just yanked a big handful of carrots from my garden and I hope to make hubby a nice carrot cake for his birthday. So do me a favor and try to find something to enjoy locally this month! :) Take care!

2 comments:

Christina November 23, 2009 at 6:33 PM  

Hey there,
I must say, your comment regarding Grandma's not recognizing our food today was brilliant. I just remembered seeing those crustables in the freezer at the grocery store and laughing my booty off, we have invented some interesting things that we call food. I'm just now starting my journey on the local path. Thanks for writing so frankly and giving me some comedy!

Virginia November 23, 2009 at 6:37 PM  

Thanks for stopping by! The grandma comment comes straight from Micheal Pollan. :) You'd love his book, The Omnivore's Dilemma. Joel Salatin's books are amazing as well! Looking forward to hearing from you again!

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP