Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Puffed Rutabaga Gratin

I had a lovely Thanksgiving with my in-laws and my dad. I was the guest so all I brought was my famous carrot cake and a new dish, puffed rutabaga gratin. I've been getting a few rutabaga in my CSA share from Heron Pond Farm and I thought this would be a good use of the rutabaga. Enjoy! (Oh, if you're not a big nutmeg/veggie fan, cut back on the nutmeg...)

Puffed Rutabaga Gratin
  • 1 large rutabaga (~1 lb)
  • 2 tbsp salted butter
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup bread crumbs
  • 1 tbsp salted butter
  • salt and pepper to taste
Peel the rutabaga and cut it into 3/4 – 1 inch pieces. Boil them for 35-40 minutes, or until they’re fork-tender.

Drain the rutabagas. Mash them until they’re smooth with the butter and milk.

Mix in the brown sugar and nutmeg to the rutabaga mash….and continue to mash until it’s smooth.

Add the baking powder and flour, stirring or mashing (whichever is easier at this point) until combined.

Crack the eggs into the rutabaga batter, stirring well after each addition.

Pour into a buttered casserole dish. Mix together the last 1 tbsp of butter with the breadcrumbs and sprinkle this on top of the rutabaga mixture.

Bake in a 350F oven for 30 – 35 minutes, or until the bread crumbs are lightly golden and toasted.

Other Thanksgiving treats from around the local blog community:
Colleen's Pumpkin Puree
Amy's Roasted Parsnip Bread Pudding
Sue's Pear Tart
Seacoast Eat Local turkey talk

6 comments:

Life Looms Large November 29, 2009 at 8:05 AM  

It's funny, but I expected that recipe to be really buttery and cheesy....but it sounds like it's prepared almost like winter squash, with some sweetness and spices added.

Always good to have something yummy to do with rutabagas!!

And thanks for the shout out about the pear tart!

Sue

Naomi November 29, 2009 at 8:15 AM  

Hmm...sounds interesting! I just tried turnips for the 1st time last night, and I was reading in one of my fave cookbooks (How to Cook Everything Vegetarian) that turnips are similar to rutabagas. I wonder if this would work for either...? Might have to try it though! Thanks.

Virginia November 29, 2009 at 8:21 AM  

This is what I want to try with turnips!
http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/turnip_gratin/

Choosy Beggar Tina November 30, 2009 at 7:08 PM  

Thank you for trying our recipe! We're so glad that you enjoyed it!! Rutabagas get such a bad rap, but I happen to think they're a root-veggie blessing in disguise. After all, anything that can be forgotten about in cold storage for 2 months and STILL make it to the dinner table is a-ok in my books. Happy Thanksgiving!

Quasi Serendipita December 5, 2009 at 5:14 PM  

Sounds great. I've never really cooked with these - will have to have a go!

Rinkly Rimes December 5, 2009 at 7:37 PM  

An interesting recipe! It looks as though the vegetable is the one called Swede in England. (Goodness knows why!)

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP