Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Garlic Soup

I am going to make this post short and sweet, because that's just what this recipe is!  After realizing how important bone broth is to incorporate into weekly menus, I made it a point to find a recipe I could truly enjoy.  Now I'm not a big soup gal and I do hope that changes, but for me, this soup satisfies.  This is made with great, nourishing ingredients, butter, garlic (for a winter immune boost) and that all important bone broth.  Quick and easy as well, here it is:

Garlic Soup

1 stick butter
2 small onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
6 T flour
6 cups chicken stock
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (I omitted)

1.  In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.  Add onions and garlic and saute until tender, about 3 minutes.

2.  Stir in flour until blended.  Gradually add stock, bring to a boil, and cook, stirring until thickened, about 2 minutes.  Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.  Stir in cayenne (optional). (from the Reader's Digest, "The Ultimate Soup Cookbook")

3. Top it off with a few slices of shaved cheddar! (Grafton Village of course!) 

Enjoy!


*Read more great, Real Food Wednesday posts at Cheeseslave
*This post is linked up to the Real Food Roundup at Naturally Knocked Up

12 comments:

Life Looms Large February 4, 2010 at 7:00 AM  

I am a huge soup fan!!! In September I get excited that it's cool enough for soup finally. Some years, by March my enthusiasm starts to wane a bit.

Thanks for a new soup recipe!

Sue

Donielle @ Naturally Knocked Up February 4, 2010 at 10:16 AM  

Oh man that sounds good! Maybe it's just the cold of Feb. finally getting to me, but I've really been into soups. :-)

Thanks for sharing!

Amanda Rose February 4, 2010 at 11:28 AM  

I love it! I am always looking for simple bone broth soups.

Amanda

Christy February 4, 2010 at 11:53 AM  

This sounds so simple and yummy, but I know myself I will have to restrain from adding something - anything - to the soup. But I can tell I will be glad I do!

Anjanette February 4, 2010 at 2:22 PM  

This sounds like the perfect soup for soar throats and gloomy days!! Yum!

Virginia February 4, 2010 at 2:47 PM  

You could most definitely tweak the recipe. I was thinking roasted garlic would be good when and if I had the time.

Today I sprinkled on some raw sharp cheddar cheese...that was tasty!

chitra February 9, 2010 at 5:50 AM  

Here through Best blog post. Nice recipe there. simple and easy

Anonymous,  September 29, 2010 at 9:14 AM  

OH YUM! I would add noodles.. OMG your blogs are making my mouth water!

Joy October 19, 2010 at 9:48 PM  

Oh man! Only 3 cloves? I'd probably put in 3 whole heads! This sounds awesome!

Virginia October 19, 2010 at 9:50 PM  

I haven't experimented with more cloves, though I'm sure a few more wouldn't be an issue! Feel free to experiment! It's such a nice warm soup and would be a great start to a meal!

Amy October 27, 2010 at 4:56 PM  

sounds yummy. you inspired me so I found a recipe online that I'm going to try!

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP