Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Real Food Face-Off: My Turn!

Today I am featured in the Real Food Face-Off at Kitchen Stewardship.  The Real Food Face-Off is a gathering of "real food" bloggers sharing their real food thoughts, ideas and tricks of the trade.

So please head over to Kitchen Stewardship and check out my answers to the real food questions.  My face-off partner today is Kim at Homestead  Acres.

And here are some questions and answers that didn't make it live today:

1. What food was your favorite that you no longer eat (or shouldn’t eat)?

Cheez-its. Seeing they contained GMO’s on Food, Inc. ruined it for me.

2. What’s your favorite real/traditional food?

Enjoying all the butter, oh and bacon…I guess I love breakfast. Pancakes, eggs, bacon, hash browns…

3. What’s something you remain afraid to try?

Definitely has to be organ meat, I need to find a reputable local source. I am also not a big seafood fan!

4. List your top 3 baby steps to move from a Standard American Diet to Real Food.
  1. Get rid of high fructose corn syrup
  2. Research local meat, meet the farmers and the farms
  3. Switch to raw dairy
5. Biggest drawback of real food lifestyle?

It can be frustrating to find real food, it’s definitely not as convenient as modern food, though the health benefits are well worth it and you do figure out shortcuts.

6. What do you refuse to buy at a grocery store that you do eat from its source?

Definitely meat. I have to have local grass-fed meats. When I do start incorporating organ meats it will be locally sourced as well.

7. Best book recommendations? 

Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon
Feeding the Whole Family by Cynthia Lair and Peggy O’Mara
Holy Cows And Hog Heaven by Joel Salatin

8. Number one tip you tell your blog readers about eating healthy foods:

Know where you food comes from, get to know you local famers and food producers, and support the local economy.

I hope these answers and the answers at Kitchen Stewardship give you some ideas on how to incorporate more real food into your everyday meals! If you have any questions, feel free to contact me or leave a comment.

You can also follow me on Twitter @livinglocalnh

2 comments:

Kim February 11, 2010 at 1:36 PM  

I really enjoyed reading your post! Found you through the real food face off.

Sarah February 11, 2010 at 4:48 PM  

Great to "meet you" via Katie at Kitchen Stewardship! It's funny, I am in the midst of reviewing "Feeding the Whole Family" for our local paper's parenting blog (which I also write for. Review coming out on Tuesday) - it's great to see another likeminded mama using it!

Looking forward to digging into the rest of your blog!

Best,
Sarah

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP