So please head over to Kitchen Stewardship and check out my answers to the real food questions. My face-off partner today is Kim at Homestead Acres.
And here are some questions and answers that didn't make it live today:
1. What food was your favorite that you no longer eat (or shouldn’t eat)?
Cheez-its. Seeing they contained GMO’s on Food, Inc. ruined it for me.
2. What’s your favorite real/traditional food?
Enjoying all the butter, oh and bacon…I guess I love breakfast. Pancakes, eggs, bacon, hash browns…
3. What’s something you remain afraid to try?
Definitely has to be organ meat, I need to find a reputable local source. I am also not a big seafood fan!
4. List your top 3 baby steps to move from a Standard American Diet to Real Food.
- Get rid of high fructose corn syrup
- Research local meat, meet the farmers and the farms
- Switch to raw dairy
It can be frustrating to find real food, it’s definitely not as convenient as modern food, though the health benefits are well worth it and you do figure out shortcuts.
6. What do you refuse to buy at a grocery store that you do eat from its source?
Definitely meat. I have to have local grass-fed meats. When I do start incorporating organ meats it will be locally sourced as well.
7. Best book recommendations?
Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon
Feeding the Whole Family by Cynthia Lair and Peggy O’Mara
Holy Cows And Hog Heaven by Joel Salatin
8. Number one tip you tell your blog readers about eating healthy foods:
Know where you food comes from, get to know you local famers and food producers, and support the local economy.
I hope these answers and the answers at Kitchen Stewardship give you some ideas on how to incorporate more real food into your everyday meals! If you have any questions, feel free to contact me or leave a comment.
You can also follow me on Twitter @livinglocalnh