...get set, GARDEN! This is THE weekend to put in your tomatoes, squash, eggplant and peppers! So you may need some seed starts if you didn't start your own. Here are some places to go for seed starts:
Farmers' Markets this Saturday
- Portsmouth - City Hall parking lot - 8 am - 1 pm
- Newmarket - the Stone Church - 9 am - 1 pm
- Rochester Four Corners - at the intersection of 202A, Estes & Meaderboro Rd. - 10 am - 2 pm
- Farmington - corner of Central & Main Streets, behind TD Bank, 8:30 am -12:30 pm
- New Durham - off of Depot Road, 9 am to 1pm
- Newburyport, MA - Tannery Marketplace - 9 am - 1 pm
Various greenhouses open around the area:
- New Roots Farm Organic Greenhouse in Newmarket, NH
- Catnip Acres Farm in Epping, NH
- Mud Meadow Farm & Gardens, Wells, ME
- Dr. Tomato's Organic Seedlings, available at Dover Agway Farm Supplies and Rochester Blue Seal
- Leap Frog Farm (organic), 65 Gear Rd (off Route 125) in Rochester, NH
- Tuttle's Red Barn, Dover, NH
- Come Back & Flower (open weekends), Upperfactory Rd., Dover, NH
- Cameron's Home and Garden, Farmington, NH
- Pearson's Greenhouses, Farmington, NH
- Riverside Farm Stand & Greenhouse, N. Berwick, ME
- Wentworth Greenhouses, Rollinsford, NH
The Dover ReStore will be host for the Southeast NH Habitat for Humanity plant sale on Saturday May 29th. All kinds of plants will be available in the parking lot area of the store, and those who purchase $10 or more in plants, or make an equivalent donation, will receive 20% off their in-store purchases that day.
I'm also a big fan of Square Foot Gardening...anyone can garden this way! I may not have alot of space to garden traditionally, but with the Square Foot Methods, I truly am maximizing my harvest for the space I have. And if you live in a small apartment, I encourage you to still grow something! Whether it's a hanging tomato plant of a pot of lettuce, give it a go this year! It's such a joy to see the seeds grow and then reap the rewards of the harvest.
So where do you buy your seedlings from?