Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Healthy Zucchini Bread and a Birthday!

Well my youngest is officially two years old! Since dear husband is sick, we quietly celebrated at home and we'll have a a family BBQ this coming Monday. I picked up a small slice of carrot cake at Shaw's (not very local, I know!) which the kids loved. He also enjoyed the new cars he received. Oh and the swing set gift he got as a joint gift with his sister from his grandparents.

I also baked another version of zucchini bread, Whole Grain Zucchini Bread. Honestly it was too lemon/orange zesty for me. And it didn't rise like it should, but that may have been the husband's fault since he opened the oven door about 10 minutes into cooking. I really don't know the rules of opening the oven door and having things rise. Does anyone know? I think I might be willing to try this again, but do know it's really citrus-y tasting!

Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread

1 ½ cups whole wheat flour

1 tsp baking soda

½ tsp baking powder

1 tsp cinnamon

Pinch salt

2 eggs

¾ cup sugar

¼ cup canola oil

¼ cup orange juice

2 tbsp plain nonfat yogurt

Grated zest of 1orange

Grated zest of 1 lemon

1 cup grated zucchini

  1. Grease and sugar a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt into bowl. Separately, beat the eggs and sugar until well mixed and slightly thickened. Beat in the oil, juice, yogurt, vanilla, and grated zests. Add the dry ingredients and zucchini and mix well by hand.
  3. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 50 minutes or until deep golden brown. Cool on wire rack.

So enjoy your weekend and all your local finds! Check in and let me know how your holiday weekend is going! We'll be partying on Monday. :)

0 comments:

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP