Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Reduce, Reuse, Recyle

Wow, sorry for being missing! It's been a crazy start to the week. Sunday we picked up a swing set for the kids and Monday was spent assembling it. Which leads me to Tuesday's post. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

Let's start with reuse. We purchased our swing set off of Craigslist which is a wonderful source for used products. We spent $150 on a $600 (not including shipping) swing set and used a whole lot less gas to get it here rather than having it shipped. So I encourage you to check out yard sales, thrift stores, Ebay, Paperback Swap and other resources before buying new. (And, anyone want to come over and play?)

Secondly is reduce. I'm not sure what to say about this, but I have been trying to cut back on the amount of paper plates and paper towels I'm using. We're also composting now which is reducing the amount of trash we put out. And then next year we can go on and reuse the compost for our garden.

Lastly is recycle. We just started recycling a few weeks ago. Rochester has curb side pick up and recycles metal, plastic and cardboard. I've been wanting to post about this awesome bin setup I bought off Amazon.com. $50 plus free shipping. It's a great system for keeping recyclables organized and I can put the bins right out to the curb. It can also be re-used for storage of toys or other things down the road making it very versatile.

We have gone from 4-5 bags of trash put out per week to a mere 2 bags of trash!

So get out there and reduce, reuse and recycle!

2 comments:

Anonymous,  August 27, 2008 at 12:37 PM  

YAY! I'm a huge "recycler" and have been ever since we saw, "An Inconvenient Truth" Check out terracycle.net they recycle things that don't normally get recycled. I was thinking of doing the energy bars one. Also, I want to make the kids some kind of stain-proof velcro lunch pouches to take place of the plastic bags in their lunches that I pack for them.

-Ashlee

MJ August 28, 2008 at 12:31 PM  

Awesome post, Virginia!! It seems we're on the same wavelength this week!

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP