Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Cinnamon Raisin French Toast

I baked up a loaf of Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Cinnamon Raisin Bread in my bread machine yesterday. I was craving some raisin toast! I decided to make a French Toast meal for a nice Sunday breakfast. The loaf didn't mound up as I thought it would in the machine, but it made nice square slices at least!

I found this recipe in my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.

French Toast
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 4 minutes per slice
Makes: 4 servings

INGREDIENTS
4 beaten eggs
1 cup milk
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

DIRECTIONS
1. In a shallow bowl beat together eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Dip bread slices into egg mixture, coating both sides.
2. In a skillet or on a griddle melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat; add half of the bread slices and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining butter and bread slices. Serve warm. If desired, serve with maple syrup.
So it's a fairly straightforward recipe. I really enjoyed the raisin toast mixed with the French toast mix, but Lucy and Steve didn't care for it too much. I guess they're French toast purists and prefer regular thick non-raisin Texas style toast. Which totally contradicts "French" toast!

And I must mention I had my first flop in the bread machine tonight. The bread basically just stayed a ball and baked up a little resulting in an awkward football shaped loaf. I'm going to have to make some more since I didn't buy any bread for the store tonight and my kids can't go a week without PB&J! I'll probably make another loaf of the Light Oat Bread since that was a success and very tasty.

Up for tomorrow is slow cooked pinto chicken with corn and quinoa from GreenLittleBites. I picked up some avocados too so I can make some guacamole (Steve's favorite, yet totally not local!) I realize it's not a local meal, but the chicken is organic from Hannaford's and the quinoa is an up and coming grain you should definitely try cooking.

Have a great Monday everyone!

0 comments:

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP