Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Monday, September 8, 2008

Crockpot Tomato Sauce

I've heard a few of you have an bumper crop of tomatoes. I have a ton of cherry tomatoes, but that has no relevance on today's post. I need to find a recipe for cherry tomatoes!

Anyway, I do plan on picking my tomatoes this year at Warren Farm in Barrington, NH. They have a pick-your-own tomato patch with tons of varieties and they only cost $1/lb!


INGREDIENTS
  • 4 onions, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 16 cups chopped tomatoes
  • 2 tablespoons dried oregano
  • 2 tablespoons dried basil
  • 1/4 cup chopped parsley
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste

DIRECTIONS
  1. In a slow cooker sauté together the onion, garlic, green pepper, and vegetable oil. Cook until onion is transparent.
  2. Add the chopped tomatoes, oregano, basil, parsley, sugar, salt, and ground black pepper. Cook for 2 to 3 hours on low heat. Stir frequently.
  3. Let sauce cool. Pour sauce into quart size freezer containers. Store in freezer.
  4. When ready to use sauce, stir in can of tomato paste.

So while I hate posting a recipe I myself haven't tried, do know that I plan on trying this and I'll get back to you on how it goes. Judging by the reviews of this recipe on AllRecipes, it sounds like a keeper!

Oh and for reference, 1 medium tomato yields 1 cup chopped so you'll need at least 16 tomatoes for this recipe.

0 comments:

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP