Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Vintage Thingies Thursday: Breakfast

Here's my hodgepodge Vintage Thingies Thursday post! Enjoy the chaos of this entry!

First off, my scrambled eggs recipe. My mom has been making this for us since we were kids. She kept telling us while growing up that there was a secret recipe. Well she finally told me the "secret" when I started my own household. It's NO MILK! Just straight eggs, cheese and a bit of butter (and a dash of salt if you like).

Mom's Scrambled Eggs
Any number of eggs you like (mine are local eggs from Elf's Garden Center)
1 slice of cheese per 2 eggs
Small pat of butter
NO MILK!

Whisk together the eggs in a bowl. Melt the pat of butter in a skillet pan over medium heat (5 on my stove). Pour eggs into the skillet. Tear the sliced cheese into pieces and add it to the eggs (there's no science to this, just smaller to allow it to melt easier).

Keep the mix moving, constantly stirring. Take the eggs off the burner right before you think they're done (slightly shiny still). Keep stirring and they'll finish cooking off the burner.

Serve with your favorite breakfast meat (I didn't have anything in the house) and these:

Banana Corn Muffins
1 box corn muffin mix (I used a Jiffy mix)
1/2 cup milk
1 squishy ripe banana

Preheat oven to 350°.
Combine banana, milk, and mix in a medium bowl; stir just until moist. Spoon batter evenly into 6 muffin cups coated with cooking spray (batter will be slightly thin). Bake at 350° for 22 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes.
Add a cup (or mug) of orange juice and there you have it, a very simple nutritious breakfast! Just remember, don't add milk to your scrambled eggs!

Now you're going to ask me, what's so vintage about this post? Well, ok, not that much, but I did find my new scrambled egg pan pictured about at a flea market this week for free. It is a Le Creuset skillet and it does appear vintage. And the plate in which I have pictured my meal is a piece of Butterfly Gold Corelle. I picked up about 6 small bowls, 6+ lunch plates and 5+ dinner plates in this pattern at our local Salvation Army Thrift Store for a mere $7.99. And the crazy vintage mug is part of what I picked up for free at the flea market. Isn't it wild? The kids loved the novelty of drinking out of it!
Here are my other FREE flea market finds. If you have any information on any of the pieces, I'd love to know more!Nine Syralite by Syracuse (marked 100-D U.S.A) mustard yellow cups, unmarked brown plate in front of those, robin's egg blue Le Creuset pan next to that, two basket weave clear glass mugs above that (marked: Forrecrisa Mexico 21), Bluegrass Pyrex platter in the back, unmarked tan/green enamel bowl to the right, behind that a green and yellow plated (marked on the back: Stonybrook Stoneware, Oven to Table, Dishwasher Safe, Japan), in front of that a brown mug (marked underneath: Homer Laughlin Best China, USA, VD IIII), and lastly my crazy orange flower mug (marked 310-5 underneath).

So does anyone know anything about any of those items? I got it all for free and I love every piece!

Head over to Confessions of an Apron Queen for more Vintage Thingie Thursday posts!


7 comments:

Coloradolady October 23, 2008 at 5:48 PM  

Wonderful post for VTT. I love the dishes and the kitchen ware. I think I had some of those corelle dishes at one time.

Kellie October 23, 2008 at 6:14 PM  

I enjoyed this! Nothin' better than free, right?

My mom still has a bunch of that gold Corelleware.

Unknown October 23, 2008 at 9:59 PM  

sometimes just cooking at home seems vintage! Thanks for sharing! My great grandma had these same Corelle Dishes!

Diane October 24, 2008 at 1:36 AM  

Vintage freebies?? *SWOON*! Nice collection of goodies here.

Anonymous,  October 24, 2008 at 2:30 AM  

I love a bargain but when it's free it's even better lol!! You've got a great little collection there :)

Anonymous,  October 24, 2008 at 10:47 AM  

I LOVE the crazy orange flower mug!!! Can I ask how you got all this stuff for free????

Virginia October 24, 2008 at 11:10 AM  

Anonymous: It was sitting outside of a flea market type building. It had a big FREE sign in front of a couple of tables. I even asked one of the guys if he was sure it was free. He said, "yes, take the stuff!" I happily obliged!

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP