Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Friday, January 30, 2009

How does your garden grow?

Here we go! Here's the start to my 2009 garden plans. First off I will be doing a square foot garden based on Mel Bartholomew's book All New Square Foot Gardening. I figure this is the best way to maximize the little bit of space I have in my backyard. I hope to do between 4 and 6 4'x4' beds filled with veggies and herbs.

I am also choosing to do a completely organic garden. I feel it's best to exclude as many chemicals as possible in my family's food, and it all starts in the garden. With non-hybridized seeds, I can also save my seeds from year to year, so long as I learn how to do this!

Here are some companies that sell organic seeds (put your catolog requests in now):
High Mowing Seeds (100% organic) (This is where I'll probably order the bulk of my seeds.)
Seeds of Change (100% organic)
Fedco Seeds
Turtle Tree Seeds (bio-dynamic seeds)

I've also heard that a great product to spray on your plants weekly is Neptune's Harvest Fish Fertilizer. You can also add fresh seaweed from the beach to your compost. Make sure it's cut from the rocks at low tide. You don't want the washed up seaweed.

I'll make my soil mixture from coarse vermiculite, peat moss, and compost. Two great local brands of bagged compost mix available are Coast of Maine and Vermont Compost Company. Supposedly you can get big bags of coarse vermiculite for a decent price at Griffin Greenhouse & Nursery Supply out of Massachusetts.

So I guess you now have some homework to get started on. Find a copy of Square Foot Gardening and order a few seed catalogs. We're going to have great gardens this year!

4 comments:

Anonymous,  January 30, 2009 at 7:59 PM  

We used the square foot method last year with some success(spot was too shady). I borrowed a book on it at Dover Public library.
Good luck:)
Deb M

Sarah January 30, 2009 at 9:09 PM  

That's so cool! Want to come to Seattle and set one up for me? ;)

na January 30, 2009 at 10:57 PM  

I am planning on trying this as well this year! I love how nice they look and they look easier to maintain.

BPOTW February 3, 2009 at 8:24 PM  

Very cool way to grow a garden in a small amount of space. If/when I get to garden I hope to do it organically as well.

Thanks for sharing with BPOTW!

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP