Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Monday, January 26, 2009

Whirlwind Weekend Review

Whirlwind just about summarizes this past weekend! I want to send a big congrats to Seacoast Eat Local and Wendy Berry of Lasting Legacy Farm for the incredible Farmer to Consumer Workshop they put on this past Saturday. What an informative and enjoyable way to spend a Saturday.



The day started off with Charlie Reid, a local organic farmer. He had so much knowledge to share with us about where to buy organic seeds, the benefits of organic gardening and other gardening tips and tricks. Stand by for more gardening posts as I prepare to have my first organic veggie garden this summer!

Next was Luke and Catarina of Brookford Farm sharing the benefits of raw milk and other farm fresh dairy products. They gave each attendee the opportunity to sample and compare grocery store whole milk and raw whole milk. What a difference! He also whipped up some simple whipped cream from the cream he sells on his farm and then we were able to shake up some whole milk and make fresh butter. Yum! And, he also brought copies of Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats, a fabulous cookbook/reference book. I highly suggest you add this book to your home library.

Next up was Joe from Yellow House Farm. He shared a bunch of information on heritage poultry and the differences between foundational breeds and composite breeds. A fellow local blogger, Amy, who has her own flock of chickens, summarized Joe's lecture quite well. Check our her post here. I'm really hoping to get my own flock of chickens. Oh to have my own fresh eggs!

After Joe's discussion, we had an amazing lunch catered by the McIntosh Culinary Academy. Sadly, this school is slated to close in December 2009.

Ok, so after lunch, was, well, more lunch...haha! Wendy Berry (the host of the event) from Lasting Legacy Farm and Chef Steven from the culinary institute shared ways to utilize underutilized cuts of meat. Chef Steven had prepared so much food, I didn't know where I'd fit it all, but I had to try it as it looked and smelled delicious!

So, if Seacoast Eat Local hosts another Farmer to Consumer lecture, I highly encourage you to sign up. You'll really get a great feel for the need for more farm friendly food and local consumers who are passionate about this food.

**A quick reminder, Tina still has local grass fed beef available. Be sure to contact her soon as the supply is dwindling daily. $4/lb for ground beef and stew meat plus other cuts are available.

2 comments:

Geek+Nerd January 27, 2009 at 9:40 AM  

Hi Virginia - wow that does sound like a fun day! I hope that they do another one!

Thanks for letting Sara Zoe know that I wanted to go to the workshop. She extended a nice offer for me to attend in exchange for some help cleaning up. I ended up declining because it was such a crazy week. By Saturday, I was just exhausted. I ended up visiting my parents, in Gonic, and having a really nice, relaxing day.

I'll be looking forward to your gardening posts. Take care!

Anonymous,  January 30, 2009 at 12:48 AM  

Hey Virginia! It was nice to see you there and great write up. You probably saw, but if now we made it to the Seacoast Eat Local blog

http://blog.seacoasteatlocal.org/

Quite cool! Thank you for the mention on yours as well!

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP