Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Friday, January 23, 2009

Wake up! Morning Glory Muffins

I bought a pound of carrots from Brookford Farm through the Rock Op Co-op. These were nice thick stubby carrots with a very sweet bite. I decided I wanted to make them into some sort of muffin, I love my muffins and so do my kids! Lucy even told me this morning that these tasted like donuts and dear husband said I should definitely make these again. Now grating the carrots was a labor of love. Pre-grate your carrots before mixing together this recipe! You'll get your workout for the evening.

I've adapted this recipe to my tastes (and what I had in my kitchen!) There's quite a few local things you can use in this recipe; carrots, apples, homemade applesauce and eggs.

Morning Glory Muffins
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups grated carrots
1 apple - peeled, cored, and chopped
1 cup raisins
1 egg
2 egg whites
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly oil 18 muffin cups, or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, applesauce, oil and vanilla.
3. In a large bowl, stir together flours, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in carrots, apples and raisins. Stir in apple butter mixture until just moistened. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them about 3/4 full.
4. In a small bowl, combine walnuts and wheat germ; sprinkle over the muffin tops. Press the wheat germ and walnuts gently into the muffin mix so it sticks once they're baked.
5. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden and spring back when lightly pressed.

You must try these at least once, you'll be hooked! Enjoy!

1 comments:

Jessy January 30, 2009 at 5:25 AM  

Favourites! Thanks so much for posting this recipe!

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP