Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Saturday, April 25, 2009

I'm a gardener!

We spent this beautiful day gardening! The last element that I needed for my square foot gardening mix was compost. I surprisingly had a hard time finding some good local stuff. Everything is selling so quick due to the warm weekend!

I finally ended up at Leap Frog Farm in Gonic, NH. The owner has a great selection of started seeds and she had the compost I needed! I picked up some bok choy (very tasty), Swiss chard and broccoli seedlings.

I put poor husband to work mixing my soil-less mix. Let's just say he didn't enjoy gardening in 80+ degree weather. But I thanked him profusely. (Thanks honey!) I laid down newspaper on the grass inside the beds to discourage weeds and hopefully draw in the worms.

By the end of the evening I had one 4' x 8' bed filled with dirt and had planted the new vegetable seedlings. We'll tackle the 2nd 4' x 8' bed early next week and I should be planting some snow peas and spinach too. I can't wait to show you a few pictures!

It's definitely been a learning experience, but I think I'm enjoying it so far. (I'm not sure I can say the same for dear husband.) I'm just nervous that I'll kill my veggies! Here's to a great green thumb and yummy fresh summer meals.

How is your gardening coming along? Amy has some great pepper and basil seedlings coming up! Any gardening tips, tricks or resources you care to share?

I also wanted to let you know that you can get a free subscription to Organic Gardening here. Don't miss out on this freebie!

3 comments:

Vanessa Rogers April 27, 2009 at 6:40 AM  

I'm not a green thumb, but someday when we settle down, I would like to help that black thumb turn a little greener. Good luck with your garden!

Local Food Rocks April 27, 2009 at 9:40 AM  

I'm afraid I'll kill everything too! Since I don't have much of a green thumb I've enlisted some help and am attempting my first veggie garden this year. Good luck with your garden and I look forward to reading updates about it.

maryb April 29, 2009 at 12:03 PM  

We have been busy prepping our garden, and this weekend planted a little spinach around our grapes.
My little guy planted his Sunflowers & marigolds along side our compost bins.
Indoors our seeds are doing well, the brussels sprouts are the best so far with tomatoes coming up a close second!
Can't wait to transplant in a couple weeks...probably right around Memorial Day to be safe from frost.

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP