Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Friday, June 12, 2009

These are a few of my favorite things...

I wanted to share 10 of my favorite things. These are things that keep me going day to day and help me live local!1. Roadside farm stands. So great for random fresh produce without needing to visit a farmers' market. I love that feeling of "discovering" a new stand as I drive along. I have a few favorites as well. There's a small farm stand on Gear Rd. off Rt. 125 in Rochester, NH that has a fun selection of fresh veggies and fruit. I've stocked up on rhubarb and asparagus in the past month!

Elf's Garden Center on Walnut St. will have local produce and they carry local meat, milk, eggs and more. More road side farm stand locations can be found here.

2. Paperback Swap. This is an economical way of "swapping" your used unwanted books for other books you want. I've received over 75 books, some which are amazing out of print cookbooks. I'd love for you to use me as a referral and if you list 10 books, you get a free credit to pick out your first book.

PaperBackSwap.com - Book Club to Swap, Trade & Exchange Books for Free.

3. Peppermint Pick Me Up Soap from Jenness Farm. I'm just in love with this stuff. It's such a refreshing smell with a bit of exfoliating scrubbies. Jenness Farm has an amazing store filled with tons of goat milk products, from shampoo to bath soap to bug spray! Their products are available to purchase from their online store, at their store in Nottingham, or at the Portsmouth Farmers' Market.

4. Cookbooks! Here are some of my current favorites:
5. Bloggy friends!6. Ariston Olive Oil Refill & Save program. Available at Calef's Country Store in Barrington, NH. $11.99 for the initial purchase and $8.99 for refills. I figure if I can't buy local olive oil then I can at least buy my olive oil locally!

7. Shaklee Vitalizer, Mighty Smarts, Incredivites and the Get Clean home products. For over 50 years, generations of families have counted on Shaklee to do what no other company can do quite the same—make products that are naturally safe AND proven effective. The vitamins are wonderful and the cleaning products can't be beat!

8. Hiking and taking walks in the area. We love Blue Job Mountain and Mt. Isinglass Recreational Area. The Mt. Isinglass Recreational Area is located on Rochester Neck Rd in Gonic and offers two looped trails with waterfall views and picnic areas. With the kids approaching ages 4 and 3, we're definitely looking forward to more outdoor time!

9. Yard sales. Great source of used book, kitchenware and other "junk" (as my husband would say)! Here's where I check for upcoming yard sales:
10. And my last favorite thing has to be YOU, my readers! You guys keep me going, learning and exploring the Seacoast to bring you the very best local recipes, events and sustainable living resources! So thank you for reading and visiting this blog and I hope you'll stick around! Any feedback is greatly appreciated (as are comments)!!
You can subscribe via e-mail or a reader or become a follower to stay up to date on all activites going on at Living the Local Life. All the subscribe tools are located on the sidebars at the top of this page.

Enjoy your weekend!

3 comments:

Anonymous,  June 14, 2009 at 5:59 PM  

From Asparagus to Zucchini is an awesome book! I also like Recipes from America's Small Farms - I bought it a couple years ago when I was looking for new recipe ideas to try with our CSA veggies. It's turned out to be a great resource!

And I didn't know about the olive oil at Calef's - will definitely have to check that out!

Anonymous,  June 15, 2009 at 6:06 AM  

Thanks for sharing :-) I found "From Asparagus to Zucchini" in my library a couple months ago and it is an incredible resources.

Guest,  June 17, 2009 at 6:36 PM  

Correction: your husband doesn't call yard sale stuff "junk", he calls it "smelly old junk". Lucy says, "I like smelly old junk!" She takes after her mother...

The Husband

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP