Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Happy Pig = Happy Meal

What a fabulous video I came across tonight from ABC's Nightline. Did you know that Chipotle chicken and pork comes from "happy" chickens and pigs? Chipotle's motto is "Food with Integrity" (gotta love that)!

Did you know that Chipotle buys some of its meat from Polyface Farms? How cool is that?! If "Polyface Farm" doesn't ring a bell, PLEASE find a copy of The Omnivore's Dilemmaby Michael Pollan and read it as soon as possible. This is the book that got me started on my "living local" journey.

Must watch video clip from ABC:
Chipotle's Fast Food Facelift

"In our culture today, our Western, reductionist, Greco-Roman, linear, fragmented, disconnected, systematized, all parts orientated culture, we don't ask how to make a pig happy, we ask how do we grow them faster, fatter, bigger, cheaper. And that's not a noble goal." --Joel Salatin, Polyface Farms
I truly believe that buying food from farmers who embrace "happy animals" is the way to go. There's no need to confine these animals unless the end goal is to grow them "faster, fatter, bigger, cheaper" as Joel said. Pay for the better quality food. You're not just paying for a tasty meal, but for a bit of these farmer's livelihoods. Vote with your dollars who you want to support and which values you believe in.

It's so great to see a "fast food" restaurant step up and use meat from non-industrial sources. Oh and did I mention that Chipotle has no rBGH in their dariy products? Chipotle has a new (vocal) supporter (not that I ever didn't like their food before)!! The only Chipotle in NH is located in Newington, NH, so hopefully you're close so you can enjoy their tasty food! For other Chipotle's across the USA, click here.

Another great local "fast" food restaurant is Fresh Local on Beane Lane in Newington, NH. They use local produce and meat and I'm excited to try them out as well. They are also part of the Green Alliance.

More restaurants that serve local food:
  • Anneka Jans, Kittery, ME
  • Black Trumpet Bistro, Portsmouth, NH
  • Blue Moon Market Cafe, Exeter, NH
  • The Dunaway, Portsmouth, NH
  • Ferguson-Davis Dining Room at Flag Hill Winery, Lee, NH
  • Flatbread Company, Portsmouth, NH
  • Four, Portsmouth, NH
  • Joshua's, Wells, ME
  • Las Olas, Exeter, NH
  • Pepperland Cafe, S Berwick, ME
  • Portsmouth Brewery, Portsmouth, NH
  • Ristorante Massimo, Portsmouth, NH
  • Robert's Maine Grill, Kittery, ME
  • Victory 96, Portsmouth, NH
  • Zampa, Epping, NH
As a last side note, I have also read one of Joel Salatin's books, Holy Cows And Hog Heaven: The Food Buyer's Guide To Farm Friendly Food, and I highly recommend it in addition to Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma. These are two must read books. Do yourself a favor and go find a copy, you'll be glad you did!

3 comments:

Guest,  June 18, 2009 at 12:09 AM  

Tuesday farmers market @ wentworth Greenhouse in rollinsford or so i hear may want to call them i have not been yet

Rachel,  June 21, 2009 at 5:35 AM  

Great blog! I can see why you have good traffic, because you provide a resource people can come back to again and again.

Claudya Martinez June 27, 2009 at 8:55 PM  

I agree, I'd rather pay more for better quality food and this is coming from someone who is of limited means. I just recently tried Chipotle. I don't really eat fast food and I thought it was going to be the same old same old, but I was really impressed when I started reading about the products they use.

I once had a piece of roast beef that tasted really odd to me, I asked my step dad why roast beef can sometimes taste so awful and he told me it was adrenaline because the cow was upset. I don't know if that's true or not, but it really changed the way I feel about eating animal products. I am not a vegetarian nor do I intend to be, but why would I want to eat animals that are treated poorly. Now I buy organic local meat and I swear I can taste the difference, so much so that my husband accidentally bought meat from a ranch where we've seen the cows just overcrowded and when we tasted the meat it was awful in comparison.

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP