Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Monday, January 25, 2010

Red Fife Wheat Flour Bread

There's a source of local wheat in NH!  I met Dick Wollmar from Moor Farm at the Rye Winter Farmers' Market.  He had freshly ground Red Fife wheat flour for sale with some delicious bread samples that totally sold me.  The wheat bread was so tasty I bought a bag made one of the recipes he shared. 

I'll also mention that Peter Allen of Newfield's Own Produce is sourcing some certified organic heritage Red Fife wheat from Canada and will be selling the flour at the upcoming Newmarket Farmers' Market.  While not local, it will be freshly ground organic whole wheat flour, so more "slow food" than local.  Still as delicious!  Here's the recipe for the delicious bread made with wheat from Moor Farm:

Red Fife Wheat Flour Bread

1 3/4 cup water
5 cups whole wheat flour
3 T honey or molasses
2 T dry milk
2 tsp sea salt
2 T vital wheat gluten
2 T butter
2 tsp active dry yeast

Prepare dough by bread machine or by hand.  I made my dough in the machine and it turned out great.  Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.

This produced a dense wheat bread that tasted great slathered in butter!

1 comments:

Rita July 10, 2010 at 4:29 PM  

I just bought Red Fife flour and found you blog; will make this recipe as soon as it cools down.
rita

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP