Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Sunday, May 23, 2010

A Weekend in Pictures

This weekend I mixed it up a bit.  I went to two Maine farmers' markets, the Kennebunk Farmers' Market and Saco Farmers' Market.  It was fun to see new markets and different farms and people!  I also bought my squash, tomato, pepper, squash and eggplant seedlings this weekend!  The garden is coming right along!  Here are pics from the markets and my garden...

Kennebunk Farmers' Market:

Saco Farmers' Market:
My garden, freshly watered and planted!
I have three new 4'x4' raised beds.  One contains 25 strawberry plants and 80 onions!  The other two contain a mix of things and I still have the original two 4'x8' beds.  I have planted out my tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers.  Some tomato varieties I am growing are Oregon Spring, Black Sea Man, Super Sweet 100, Sun Gold, Bush Beefsteak and San Marzano.  Some of the pepper plants I'm growing include Mohawk Sweet Bell, Cubanelle, Pimento, Jalapeno, Red Ace and Lady Bell. 

Other things in my garden include Swiss chard, chives, broccoli, cabbage, peas, nasturtium, at least 150 onions, zucchini, summer squash, spaghetti squash, cucumbers, and green beans.  I'm sure I forgot something!  I can't wait to be getting those nice summertime harvests!  I still want to get some potatoes going like I did last year, just trying to find the perfect bag!  I also have one Jerusalem artichoke I need to replant outside (and far away from) my raised beds.  This week I have lots of repotting to do as I've picked up a bunch of herbs and I'd like to trying a few tomatoes and eggplants in containers as well.  The gardening never stops!

How was your weekend and how is your garden growing?

3 comments:

Barbara May 23, 2010 at 11:37 PM  

Virginia, your gardens look awesome - I love to see bright green sprouting from the rich dark soil! :-) And your chives are already blooming! Sounds like your family really likes onions... How do you keep them stored through the winter? Or do you use them all at once? :-)

Virginia May 23, 2010 at 11:50 PM  

Well I bought all storage varieties in case I had some to store. I know I'll use quite a few through the summer. I didn't grow as many last year so I didn't store any...this year I'll probably store them somehow in my basement!

Jenn May 26, 2010 at 6:20 PM  

Virginia,
I love this post. Thanks so much for living (and sharing) the NH local life!

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP