Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Monday, July 19, 2010

Homestead Happenings

I have been quite busy around the homestead, hence my sporadic postings!  I wanted to share with you what I've been up to.

First off, it's canning season!  I canned my first vegetables, organic tomatoes (well, they're really fruit, but, well, not going there today!)  I also purchased a Presto 23-Quart Pressure Canner so I can put up some green beans and other not-so-acidic vegetables.  I also have high hopes for this zucchini relish recipe.  Yum!

Next, we've been working on getting the rabbit hutch turned into a chicken coop.  We're building an eight foot run off the hutch so the chickens can get some sun and grub.  I can't wait till the construction is all wrapped up and we're gathering eggs from our own backyard!
Sally and her baby bunnies are doing well.  The babies, now seven weeks old, are ready to wean and go into their own pen.  We'll be breeding Sally again this week.  So things are coasting right along with the rabbits.

Today I started up my first sourdough.  I have a San Francisco starter from Goldrush Sourdough that I decided to get going.  I hope to cook lots of great things while going through Wardeh's Sourdough eCourse!  It's staying warm in the oven today (oven is off, but the heat of the light provides a constant warmth). 

The garden is thriving in the sun with the perfect mix of rain.  I fed them some comfrey tea I "brewed" so I hope the burst of organic nutrients yields to a larger harvest!  I've already harvested: Swiss chard, onions, strawberries, cucumbers, turnips, eggplant, cherry tomatoes, parsley, snow peas, lettuce, broccoli, and zucchini!
How's your summer going?  What are you up to around your homestead?

1 comments:

The Hobbit July 25, 2010 at 11:04 AM  

You ARE busy,but,don't you just love it.I just finished dilly green beans.Sarah has the pressure cooker so I have to wait till she comes back from vacation next week.Had 5 yes 5 groundhogs in my yard so,garden took a beating.Back on track and getting ready for fall planting this week.

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP