Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Friday, December 10, 2010

Locavore Gift Idea #6

Today I bring you Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol to introduce today's locavore gift idea:

"It's Christmas Day!" said Scrooge to himself. "I haven't missed it. The Spirits have done it all in one night. They can do anything they like. Of course they can. Of course they can. Hallo, my fine fellow!"
"Hallo!" returned the boy.
"Do you know the Poulterer's, in the next street but one, at the corner?" Scrooge inquired.
"I should hope I did," replied the lad.
"An intelligent boy!" said Scrooge. "A remarkable boy! Do you know whether they've sold the prize Turkey that was hanging up there -- Not the little prize Turkey: the big one?"
"What, the one as big as me?" returned the boy.
"What a delightful boy!" said Scrooge. "It's a pleasure to talk to him. Yes, my buck."
"It's hanging there now," replied the boy.
"Is it?" said Scrooge. "Go and buy it."
"Walk-er!" exclaimed the boy.
"No, no," said Scrooge, "I am in earnest. Go and buy it, and tell them to bring it here, that I may give them the direction where to take it. Come back with the man, and I'll give you a shilling. Come back with him in less than five minutes and I'll give you half-a-crown."
The boy was off like a shot. He must have had a steady hand at a trigger who could have got a shot off half so fast.
"I'll send it to Bob Cratchit's!" whispered Scrooge, rubbing his hands, and splitting with a laugh. "He shan't know who sends it. It's twice the size of Tiny Tim."
A Christmas turkey!  I happen to know a fine upstanding young man raising his own heritage breed turkeys.  Nick Locke of Nick's Chicks is a 14 yr old boy who's passion is raising poultry.  These turkeys have been raised with lots of love and good care.  You will be able to purchase your very own Christmas turkey next Saturday, Decemeber 18th at the Wentworth Greenhouse Winter Farmers' Market from 10 am - 2 pm.  What a stunning and delicious gift it will make.

So don't be a Scrooge, pick up a beautiful heritage breed turkey from Chicken Nick and support a young man and his farming endeavors.  It'll be some of the best turkey meat you've ever tasted!  You can find Nick and his turkey's at Sugarmomma's Maple Farm table and he can also be reached in the evenings at
603-942-7005.

2 comments:

Sugarmomma December 10, 2010 at 9:12 PM  

Yes Virginia, you did make my heart pitter patter.
Thank You,
Your Sugarmomma

maryb December 10, 2010 at 10:02 PM  

Those are some fine looking birds!
Nick is awesome!

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP