Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Blueberry Crumb Bars

I was browsing this mom site called MomAdvice. She has a page of notebook ideas that she at one time or another would like to try. There are great ideas for doing things with your kids as well as other frugal ideas and some recipes scattered in. I found a recipe for Blueberry Crumb bars posted in her 7.31.08 journal entry. I just had to try them!

Blueberry Crumb Bars
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup cold butter (2 sticks or 8 ounces)
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon salt
Zest and juice of one lemon
4 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup white sugar
4 teaspoons cornstarch
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, and baking powder. Mix in salt and lemon zest. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Pat half of dough into the prepared pan.
3. In another bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blueberries. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust. Crumble remaining dough over the berry layer.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.
So how did they taste? Let's just take a quote from my dear husband, "These were better than I expected!" Which either means my cooking leaves much to be desired or he doesn't have much faith in blueberry crumb bars. I fear the answer is the former! But hear me now, I am learning and cooking better and better everyday!

And what was my reward for all this baking, cooking, and learning this week? A nice cold Kahlua and milk, yes raw whole milk! Very very tasty...

Lucy and I are off to the Barrington Farmer's Market now so I'll check in once more today with what we found. Have a great weekend everyone!

5 comments:

Amy August 18, 2008 at 11:55 AM  

Oh, those look absolutely DELICIOUS! I am going to have to try those myself! Thank you so much for participating- I really appreciate it!

Anonymous,  August 19, 2008 at 8:30 AM  

I am going to grab some blueberries from the freezer and try these today, they look absolutely yummy!

Unknown September 10, 2008 at 11:35 PM  

Visiting through Vintage Thingies, and I had to copy this recipe. I'm a huge blueberry fan!

Carrie September 11, 2008 at 2:32 AM  

Very appetizing...could use some right now!

Jenny September 11, 2008 at 9:06 PM  

These look amazing! Thanks for the recipe!

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP