Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Friday, August 15, 2008

Cookin' a Whole Chicken

I was able to snag a few fresh whole chickens from Kellie Brook Farm last week. They had just put up some fresh, never frozen chickens so I thought it'd be fun to try it out.



What I do is place the whole chicken right into the crockpot. I put three foil balls on the bottom of the pot so the chicken is held up over the crockpot. I used a crockpot liner so I didn't have to worry about the other chicken parts touching the edge of the pot. If you don't use a liner place a piece of foil between the chicken and the crockpot so it doesn't get too crispy.

Since it was fresh I put it on low for 6 hours. And
voilà, fresh roasted chicken right out of the crockpot! I'll then pick apart the chicken and make chicken salad, enchiladas or sandwiches.

I went on to attempt to make my own broth so I could use all of the chicken and not put much to waste. I went back on to All Recipes website and found a crockpot chicken broth recipe. I must say I love my crockpot! I put all the ingredients in and let it stew over night. I woke the next morning to the most amazing chicken soup smell ever! I wish I had some cheese cloth to strain the broth, but I made do. Now I have 8 cups of homemade broth put up in the freezer for winter soup!

Give it a try soon, you can't go wrong with a crockpot!

2 comments:

MJ August 15, 2008 at 11:04 AM  

I totaly agree, I LOVE my crockpot! Can't wait to try the roasted chicken. Thanks for the slideshow!

Anonymous,  August 16, 2008 at 6:44 AM  

crockpot for stock is *brilliant* - I never would have thought of it, thanks!

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP