Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Reason for this journey

Good morning! Thought I'd share briefly how this blog and journey came about. It all started with our 3 year old daughter. Her behavior, mild aggression, impulsiveness and what I think is ADD/ADHD had left us at a cross roads. Being the avid research I am, I instantly dove into what could be the underlying cause of the issues we were seeing.

I shared some of the "symptoms" I was seeing with my fitness instructor and she told me I REALLY needed to read the book "Is This Your Child?" by Doris Rapp. I got my hands on it as soon as I could. As I began reading everything began lining up with Lucy having a possible food allergy/sensitivity.

So began my journey. As of right now I am striving to keep high fructose corn syrup and artificial colorings and preservatives out of all of our diets. I also saw a blurb on Michael Pollan on an ABC TV special and that got me hooked on his book "The Omnivore's Dilemma". What an awesome read, totally eye opening and I highly suggest you go find yourself a copy if you haven't already!

On top of keeping HFCS and additives and preservatives out of our diet, I am also striving to eat more local fruit and produce, grass-finished meat, and "eating for the seasons".

We got on the raw milk because after doing some research I noted that it was more tolerated by people with lactose intolerance plus it's just a more whole form of milk. Like I said in my earlier post, it hasn't been in our diets long enough to see a notably change, but I'm hoping for the best. She is still eating regular cheese and other milk products so we'll see if becomes necessary to remove those as well. We do have an allergist appointment set up for the first week in September.

Be back later with more of my local products!

0 comments:

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP