Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Got Zucchini?

I picked up a few zucchini's at the local farmer's market last week. And I'm sure if you have zucchini in your garden you have a lot of it too!

So I made a quick zucchini bread:

Zucchini Bread

INGREDIENTS

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 1/4 cups white sugar
  • 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups grated zucchini
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS

  1. Grease and flour two 8 x 4 inch pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  2. Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
  3. Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.
  4. Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool.
I did make some tweaks to make it more healthy. I switched one cup flour for one cup of King Arthur's White Whole Wheat Flour. I substituted one cup of brown sugar for one cup of the white sugar. I replaced the oil with one cup applesauce. And I didn't add walnuts.

Overall I like the bread, but it is a denser than I prefer. That is probably due to the substitutions I made. The toddlers and the husband all like it, so I guess it's a hit! Give it a try, the cinnamon really stands out.

Check out the National Center for Home Preservation link in the right side of this blog. They have ways to freeze, can, pickle and store all sorts of produce. Here's how to freeze zucchini so you can make zucchini bread all winter long.

0 comments:

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP