Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Potato Leek Soup

I think I owe you a new recipe. It's been awhile. I bought a few leeks (barely knowing what they were!) at the Portsmouth Farmer's Market last Saturday. I found out that they're a mild tasting member of the onion family and they're very tasty!

So may I present you, a basic (aka, feel free to season to your taste) Potato Leek Soup recipe!

Potato Leek Soup
18 small red potatoes
6 cups chicken broth
3 leeks, chopped (how to chop leeks)
3 T butter
2 cups milk
Salt and pepper as you like it

Place potatoes into a large saucepan with water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until tender. Meanwhile, sauté leeks in butter until they are translucent.

When potatoes are done, skin them while they are still hot and cut them into bite sized pieces. Place potatoes into a stock pot with chicken broth and leeks. Season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until simmering, then remove from heat and stir in milk.
_________________________________________________________
Here's a few hiccups I had. First off, I didn't have ideal potatoes. I only had small baby reds and I wish I had peeled them prior to cooking. I couldn't figure out how to get the hot skin off so I just left it on. I'd get a larger red potato (or a white potato variety) and peel it prior to boiling. There was just too much free potato skin in the soup.

I also used my homemade chicken broth, which I realized was a tad "thin." I wish I had some chicken bullion to boost up the flavor.

I did freeze the soup so maybe I can tweak it when it's thawed and ready to eat. But overall I was highly pleased with the potato/leek taste combo. It'll make a great winter soup. So be sure to put leeks on your "farmer's market grocery list"! Enjoy


2 comments:

Anonymous,  September 24, 2008 at 11:06 AM  

What a cool idea. I love that you are supporting your local economy and limiting your carbon footprint. So cool, I will have to stay posted to get tips.

Oh, soup looks great.

Anonymous,  September 29, 2010 at 9:17 AM  

Stop it! LOL I love leeks, i think we will be doing soup this weekend.. looks great!

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP