Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Compost Stew

Ok, first off, it's not really compost stew. That is what dear husband said it looks like, but truly it is a tasty hearty winter stew. (Yes, that large potato piece next to the spoon should have been cut better!)

I received my "family" CSA share last week from Localmotive through the Sustainable Farm Products campaign at Nelson Farms. In my bag I had parsnips, sun dried tomatoes, acorn squash, apples, a dozen eggs, a bag of salad greens, carrots, potatoes, rutabaga and beets. I was a bit unsure of what I'd do with some of the items since I'm not a big winter root vegetable person, but I decided I'd make an effort to make something good!

Well here's what I came up with. A stew named "Compost Stew" (since that's what our compost pile supposedly looks like). Sadly, or maybe not so sadly, I don't have an exact recipe. I actually just winged it. You can wing it too with what you have on hand.

Basically I made this up in a 6 qt. crockpot. I included 1 can of beef broth, 1 packet of beef bullion, 3-4 cans extra water, 1 lb package of stew meat from Rock Op Co-Op, an onion, a handful of seasonings (garlic, thyme, rosemary, sage, pepper), and the goodies from the Localmotive share: acorn squash, potatoes, rutabaga, carrots and parsnips.

It was very yummy and showed me I could make a nice tasty meal utilizing almost all local ingredients. Not that I doubted the fact, I just wasn't quite sure how it'd go over in the middle of winter!

Enjoy!

**Oh! And with the sun dried tomatoes, I'm going to try to alter this focaccia recipe. Looking forward to sun dried tomato-garlic bread!

0 comments:

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP