Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Friday, July 3, 2009

Around Here Somewhere

I swear, I'm around here somewhere. This rain has totally gotten to me. I haven't been able to be in my garden and I've been cooped up inside with two preschoolers! That alone is enough to drive anyone bonkers!

So my apologies for the posts being sparse. I haven't even been able to pull together any fully local meals...I've lost my groove! Sun come out, please!

My eldest celebrated her 4th birthday this week, so we've been busy running around with family. Also, we've been dealing with behavioral issues etc, so my plan as of now, is to go on a gluten and casein free diet for a period of time to see what results we get. I would love any support, tips, recipes, websites etc that you may know of. It's a bit of a daunting task, but if it will help her thrive, then I'm willing to put in the effort!

I have been doing a few things pertaining to living locally though! I have canned 12 jars of strawberry jam with berries I picked from Butternut Farms. I've blanched and froze a few pounds of broccoli for future use. I've also make a few jars (now in the freezer) of garlic scape pesto. I've been stocking up on popcorn kernels. I harvested the first snow peas from my garden today, and I have tomatos and peppers on their way!

It also looks as though we may be the new parents of 6 Ancona pullets in the next few weeks. Time to whip the chicken run together and tweak the shed into a home for the hens! I can't wait for fresh eggs from my own backyard! The pullets will come from from Yellow House Farm.

So hopefully July will yield more local living and definitely more sunshine. Keep those fingers crossed!

How is everyone else hanging in there? How are you surviving the dreary weather?

2 comments:

maryb July 4, 2009 at 10:53 AM  

I can totally relate on being cooped up! The boys are stir crazy and I cannot really go out and work the soggy garden :(
We were hoping to go pick blueberries over at Berrybog soon if the rain stays away.

At least today is showing some promise with the sun poking through!

Anonymous,  July 5, 2009 at 9:13 PM  

Chickens - how awesome!! Can't wait to hear more!

Hope you enjoyed the beautiful sunshine this weekend!

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP