Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Kohlrabi Slaw

One of my goals this season was to buy and make something with kohlrabi. You know, that space satellite looking vegetable we all try to pass by quickly at the markets.

I purchased my 3 kohlrabi from Abby Wiggin of Wake Robin Farm at the Dover Farmers' Market. You can eat the leaves if you want, but mine were a bit limp so I donated them to our compost bin.

Here are some basic storage tips from the From Asparagus to Zucchinicookbook I picked up at the North Berwick Farmers' Market:

Store kohlrabi glove and leaves separately. The globe will last for 1 month in a plastic bag. Wrap leaves in a damp towel or place in a plastic bag and keep in a hydrator drawer. Use greens as soon as possible.
I decided to make a slaw with my kohlrabi since kohl means "cabbage" and rabi means "turnip" so it seemed like the perfect fit for a slaw. My recipe came from Kathryn Hill at the kitchn and I added my own twist.
Kohlrabi Slaw
3 medium kohlrabi, peeled, stems trimmed off, grated
1/3 cabbage, shredded or one small cabbage
2 carrots, grated
Radish to taste
1/2 onion, grated
1/4 cup golden raisins
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp cider vinegar
4 tbsp chopped cilantro
1/4 cup mayonnaise (or more, if you prefer)

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Chill for several hours before serving.

Here's where my ingredients came from:
  • Kohlrabi & cabbage - Wake Robin Farm
  • Carrots - Parcell Farm
  • Cilantro and onion- my garden
  • Radish - Barrington Farmers' Market

Other cooking ideas from the From Asparagus to Zucchini:
  • Try kohlrabi, thinly sliced, alone or with a dip. Peel kohlrabi and eat it like an apple.
  • Saute grated kohlrabi in butter; add herbs or curry for enhance flavor
  • Mash cooked kohlrabi, mix with cooked potato, form into patties, and fry in butter.
  • Steam kohlrabi whole 25-30 minutes or thinly sliced 5-10 minutes. Dress slices simply with oil, lemon juice, and fresh dill weed, or dip in flour and briefly fry.
  • Add sliced or cubed kohlrabi to hearty soups, stews, or a mixed vegetable stir-fry.

5 comments:

Anonymous,  July 23, 2009 at 5:11 PM  

I got my first kohlrabi from my CSA a few weeks and was at a total loss as to how to prepare it. Not fearful or skeptical, just at a loss. I ended up slicing it and using it raw as a snack, and it was delicious.
The slaw you posted looks really good. Can the mayo be omitted? It'd be great for me this week, since I got kohlrabi, carrots, and radish in my CSA, and I have cilantro growing here in my garden :-)

Virginia July 23, 2009 at 5:38 PM  

I'm not really versed in coleslaw, but I suppose if you wanted, you could omit the mayo. It won't be as creamy though.

Try it!

Local Food Rocks July 24, 2009 at 11:24 AM  

Sounds delicious! This year is really my first year trying kohlrabi in a variety of summer salads. When beets were in season I shredded kohlrabi along with the beets and made a lemon vinaigrette. I'll have to put your recipe on my list to try. Yum!

Vonlipi July 25, 2009 at 7:46 AM  

oooh that is such a good idea! i bought some too and didn't really know what to do, now I do!

Thanks :)

Unknown July 25, 2009 at 8:05 AM  

I check your blog first thing every morning to see whats going on in the area, where to get fresh food and read your interesting articles/recipes. Thanks for doing all the research so I can live better.☺

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP