Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

One Local Summer: Week 6

Week 6 of the One Local Summer challenge, halfway over already and we're just getting our summer weather! I made a simple, yet tasty, meal this week! Roasted chicken, mashed potatoes and green beans!

I put a whole chicken in the crockpot (fully frozen) using the method I've posted on my blog previously. Putting a whole chicken in the crockpot is such an easy way of eating local fare with little time involved. You can season it however you like of pick the chicken off and make many different chicken dishes!

This time I put in about 10 spring garlic bulbs into the cavity of the chicken and "roasted" those all day. I then boiled some local red potatoes and mashed them up with the roasted garlic and a bit of butter and fresh chives from my garden! They were SO tasty! My second vegetable was fresh green beans from a roadside farm stand.So overall a simple, yet hearty meal! Steve ate the leftover potatoes the following night with a slice of Swiss Chard Quiche!

Onto OLS week 7! What are you cookin' up for local fare this week?

4 comments:

Anonymous,  July 15, 2009 at 8:09 AM  

I really like pressure cookers for many of the same reasons you mentioned for the slow-cooker. Even for things like beans, I can have them fully cooked in 30 minutes, even with no pre-soaking.
But enough on that! Your veg dishes sound good, and very easy and comforting. I even like green beans with garlic scapes and a couple of pieces in there too.

Geek+Nerd July 15, 2009 at 11:24 AM  

Mmm, looks and sounds delicious!

Anonymous,  July 15, 2009 at 9:48 PM  

Garlic and chive mashed potatoes - yum!!

mary b July 17, 2009 at 10:04 AM  

The potatoes look delicious!
This week we are still devouring all the peas coming out of our garden, and eating the wild raspberries.
But we have not actually cooked any of it!!

Hopefully next week some green beans will be ready,too.

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP