Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Friday, July 17, 2009

One Local Summer: Week 7

Pizza! Pizza is a very simple way of using up veggies from the garden. Pizza's are great with fresh tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic and all those fresh Italian herbs.

For my pizza I used:

I cooked this pizza while I had my two kiddos running underfoot so I didn't get a chance to snag some herbs from the garden. You could most definitely top your pizza with basil or oregano if you so choose.

For the crust, I made it from scratch in the bread machine. I found a knock-off Pizza Hut style crust recipe from Recipezaar. Now, I don't dine at Pizza Hut frequently enough to know how this compares to their crust, but irregardless, it makes a very fine pizza crust! For another crust option, try Beer Pizza Dough in the bread machine.

Pizza Hut Style Pizza Crust
in the bread machine

1 1/3 cups water
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast

2 tablespoons cornmeal
  1. Add ingredients (except for cornmeal) to machine bread pan in order as per manufacturer's instructions.
  2. Set to "Dough" cycle.
  3. Lightly grease one 9 x 13-inch pan and sprinkle with cornmeal.
  4. When the dough cycle is complete, roll out dough and place in pan.
  5. Let rest in pans for 10-15 minutes.
  6. Add toppings of your choice.
  7. Bake at 350°F until done (approximately 20 minutes, depending on the thickness of toppings).
You can now add your toppings however you like! I sliced my tomatoes and put them down as a base and then added the pepper and onion and pre-cooked sausage on top. (The kids ate most of the sausage, not much made it to the pizza!) I broke the curd up a bit and added that last. I know the crust isn't really local, but it's the best I could do! I kept all the toppings local though!! Try making a pizza with local ingredients this summer!

1 comments:

Anonymous,  July 18, 2009 at 6:21 AM  

Yup, pizza is a classic meal that can be local very easily, and is good for the "odds and ends" as well as fresh herbs that are so bountiful right now. I make mine without cheese, but all those veg - even cheese-eaters haven't seemed to miss a thing!
And can I add, great picture/angle for your pizza :-)

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP