Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Friday, July 17, 2009

One Berry, Two Berry

Pick me a blueberry! If you don't have kids or you're not familiar, that's a quote from the wonderful book Jamberry by Bruce Degen.

It's berry season! Well it's been berry season, but strawberries are almost over for the season. But raspberries are in season now and blueberry picking is gaining momentum. Blackberry season will be here before we know it!

So here's where you can pick some tasty berries (here are my favorites):

Places I haven't picked at yet, but I hear are great:
For lots more PYO farms all around NH and beyond, be sure to check out Pick Your Own or Seacoast Harvest (NH and ME specific).

Berries are so easy to freeze and can be canned simply as well (I'm still eating last years frozen blackberries and blueberries)! I have found great guides from the Pick Your Own site:
How to Freeze Berries
How to Can Homemade Jam

Berries are also great to bake with...here are some of the recipes I've made in with blueberries in the past year:
Blueberry Yogurt Muffins
New England Blueberry Muffins
Blueberry Crumb Bars
Verry Blueberry Muffins

Can you tell I like blueberries and muffins? Hopefully I will branch out and share some other berry recipes with different berries!

What are you favorite berries and berry recipes? Happy Berry Picking!

3 comments:

Anonymous,  July 18, 2009 at 6:19 AM  

I went blueberry picking (for both eating now and freezing/jam/etc) a couple weeks ago and had a blast :-) And am going back this week to add to the goodness and incorporate peaches too.
I think muffins are one of my fav ways to use blueberries, because they work either fresh or frozen that way. My muffins use almost no sweetener (just a tsp or 2 of honey for a batch of 9), so the burst of the sweet berries is a pleasant surprise.
Other than that, I also like doing handpies, because of how easily they transport. The recipe is really easy (I made rhubarb handpies for week 1 of OLS and they were just as good)

Life Looms Large July 18, 2009 at 7:06 PM  

Don't forget the Salt Box Farm in Stratham!! Great berries...blueberries and blackberries (or are they raspberries?)

We call blueberries nature's M&M's because we eat them by the handful in the summer. Yum!

Sue

mary b July 20, 2009 at 10:11 AM  

Thanks for the heads up on Berrybogg Farm's opening. We went yesterday! Tons of pics on my blog.

We made pancakes of course, and later a Blueberry Cream Cheese Lemon Pound Cake.

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP