Welcome to Living the Local Life! If you're new to my blog, you may want to subscribe to my RSS feed. Please feel free to leave a comment on any articles you view and thanks for stopping by!

Friday, October 9, 2009

Farmer's Market Itch

With being back to school, myself and the kids, life, as you know, has been quite busy! I haven't been to a farmers' market in weeks and I was itching to go! So despite the rain the kids and I packed up and headed over to the North Berwick Farmers' Market (check out their revamped website). The NBFM has three more markets left this season, so if you haven't trekked over to North Berwick, maybe you should! Here's what I bought:

On the way home from the market I swung by one of my favorite "roadside" farm stands, Parcell Farm in Rochester, NH. (More info and directions, see the bottom of this post.) I bought:
  • more leeks
  • Swiss chard
  • celery
  • kale
As a side note, Parcell Farm will only be open this weekend, and the next three Thur-Saturdays, with their last day being October 31. So be sure to swing by soon if you want some delicious local popcorn!

I have a whole chicken in the freezer from Newfields Own Produce and I think we'll have that for dinner this weekend. I'll cook it in the crockpot like I always do! On the NBFM website they have a nice section for recipes and I'll be trying the Lemony Leek Risotto to go with the chicken. I'm hungry just thinking about it!

My other culinary plans for the weekend include making a leek & potato soup, kale chips, Swiss chard crustless quiche (which I promise to blog about!), and making chicken broth with the chicken carcass (hence the local celery). Busy week, high expections! Here's hoping I at least get one of these tasks done! (Oh, and if I forget to blog about it, you need to try the spaghetti squash casserole on Penny-wise People's blog, very good stuff!)

What local things have you been up to?

2 comments:

Anonymous,  December 10, 2009 at 6:21 AM  

I just found your site and am delighted to find your list of local farms . We spend 2 weeks at our summer cottage in Milton and I love to to picking and buy fresh produce to feed my family and the multitute of company we get. WE like to go to Mckenzie farms in Milton to pick strawberries, raspberries and blueberries and pick up some yummy tomaatoes

Virginia December 10, 2009 at 10:03 PM  

Welcome, I'm glad you found my blog!

I've only been to McKenzie's for apples, but their farm and farm store are lovely!

And less than a quarter of a mile down the road is Thirteen Colonies Farm which sells raw milk, yogurt, butter and cream! Something to put on your "to try" list for next summer!

http://livinglocalnh.blogspot.com/search?q=Thirteen+Colonies+Farm

I hope to see you commenting in the near future! Take care and Merry Christmas!

Virginia

Total Pageviews

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP